FIAPAS is a nationwide confederation that was established in 1978 and is now recognised as the largest platform representing the families of deaf people in Spain.
FIAPAS’ PURPOSE is to build an inclusive society where people with deafness and their families are the protagonists of their own lives and decisions, exercise their rights and participate on equal terms.
The MISSION of FIAPAS is to liaise with Society, the Authorities, and other Institutions in the defence of the overall rights and interests of people with hearing disabilities and their families, both nationally and internationally, including and promoting the activities of the Regional Federations and the Parent Associations ofhearing losspeople.
FIAPAS seeks to be recognised as a benchmark in the representation and care ofhearing losspeople and their families, capable of uniting its member organisations, and committed to the ethics that inspire its principles and values and to the direct role of parents, supported by a professional, innovative organisation focused on excellence through continuous improvement.
Principles and values
FIAPAS is to implement its activities, focused on achieving the long-term mission and vision, within a framework of principles and values that define its organisational culture and to which all its members are committed.
FIAPAS is committed to the principles and values contained in:
- The 1948 United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- The 1959 United Nations Declaration of the Rights of the Child.
- The United Nations Standard Rules on the Equalization of Opportunities
- for Persons with Disabilities of 1993.
- Recommendation Rec (2006)5 of the Committee of Ministers to Member States on the Council of Europe Action Plan to promote the rights and full participation of people with disabilities in society:
Improving the quality of life of people with disabilities in Europe 2006:2015.
- The 2006 United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
In addition, FIAPAS is particularly committed to the following principles and values: internal democracy, solidarity, transparency, professionalism, promotion of volunteering, user and family orientation, equal opportunities, personal autonomy, social integration, respect for other options and strategies in the field of social intervention, tolerance, independence, commitment, quality of service and management.
- To promote and offer assistance to the hearing impaired and their families.
- To represent and manage the demands of the hearing impaired and their families.
- To coordinate and strengthen the Associative Movement of Families.
- To encourage the training and participation of families in the enabling and educational process of their deaf child and in the associative movement itself.
- To promote the early diagnosis and treatment of deafness.
- To improve the quality of education received by deaf children and youngsters, promoting their social integration.
- To foster professional training and access to employment for deaf people.
- To optimise teacher and specialist training.
- To promote and distribute research and studies of educational, medical, technical and social interest.
- To inform and raise awareness among the deaf population, parents, professionals, political leaders, public authorities and society, and remove communication barriers.
- To take into account, at the core of all Confederation activity, women with children with a hearing impairment and girls and women with a hearing impairment.
C/ Pantoja, 5 (Local). 28002 Madrid – Spain
Phone: 91 576 51 49
Follow us on Social Media: